Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Golden Mickeys

Today we went to Disneyland for the first time since June to be extras in a video shoot for the opening sequence for The Golden Mickeys stage show. It was Tom’s theater world and my broadcast world coming together since Tom requested that my department coordinate the shoot. Darla, Al, Chris and Nick worked the shoot and it was great to see my fellow Broadcast Servicers. . . or is that Broadcast Servians? You decide.

The girls and about 100 other extras had to act like crazy movie fans as the Disney Characters walked down the red carpet to the show. The set up was very cute with the characters arriving in classic cars in front of the theater. I would LOVE to show you pictures of what they shot, but there’s an embargo on photos from the park until it officially opens, so I can show you some behind the scenes shots, but I’ll have to wait until after August 16th to post photos from the actual shoot.

After the shoot, Tom took us on the nickel tour of the two theaters he’s been living in the past two months. At Lion King, they were putting the finishing touches on “Just Can’t Wait to be King” and we stopped and chatted for a bit with Lynn, the show director. At The Golden Mickeys we met Diane, the show director for that show. She was rehearsing a number with the cast from “Mulan.” How appropriate.

Later we met up again with Darla and Nick and they showed us where I’d be working when I start a week from Tuesday. Do the words “TV Sweatshop” mean anything to you? I’m sure being all together in one huge room will make for great camaraderie. Yea, right.

The day was great, but it was a MILLION degrees outside with 2000% humidity. It really was. I’m not exaggerating.

Enjoy the photos!