Saturday, July 23, 2005

A Family Saturday

Ah, another weekend in Hong Kong. But this time it’s even better than normal because Tom’s home all day Saturday and Sunday! Yea!! We didn’t head out until about 1pm because we were watching the Angel game on-line. They beat the Yankees. . .AGAIN!! (Take that Derek Jeeter!! In yo’ face!! Go back, and SIT down!!)

The first stop of the day was Wanchai to check out the Computer Centre. They had tons of stuff. It was like Fry’s on steroids. It’s a three-story building jam-packed full of electronic goodness. We bought a new flash memory card for my camera and some blank discs to back up all of my Hong Kong photos. I hadn’t backed up any of my stuff since we arrived. Scary!!

We then headed west to Central and the Prince’s Building. I read on line that they have some specialty toy collectors shops, and I’ve been on a mission to find some Mickey and Donald figures for my friend and co-worker John. Well, we checked out the toy stores and didn’t find any, so the quest continues. But Tom and Maggie very much enjoyed the plastic animals they found there.

We walked across the street to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Very swanky. The lobby restaurant was full of people having afternoon tea.

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ve been trying to get Tom to buy some new clothes ever since we’ve been here. He finally caved and picked up five new shirts from Marks & Spencer (all on sale, yea!!).

After shopping, we had dinner at Jimmy’s Kitchen, and on the cab ride home, the weekend fireworks show that shoots from the roofs of the skyscrapers was just starting so the girls had a great view from the rear window of the taxi.

Anyway, as I’m sure you’re figuring out, Hong Kong’s all about shopping and dining, but I have three more weeks before I start work, so I’m sure the blog will be taking a sharp turn in it’s content soon enough.

(By the way, for those of you who care, my work visa finally went through on Thursday. Now when I work here I won’t be an illegal alien).