Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hong Kong Space Museum

Today we went to the Hong Kong Space Museum in Tsim Sha Tsui. It was great to get out and about today after all the rain. Not that it didn't rain today, it just happened to stop around 2pm. We headed down the hill to Central and then took the Star Ferry to the Kowloon. The museum was just about a block from the pier.

The museum was a bit smaller than I expected, but it was very nicely done. The girls learned about so many new things, I told them we'd have a test on what they had learned . . . NOT! But they were very interested the electromagnetic spectrum exhibit. Microwaves, radio waves, etc. . . . They didn't realize how few wavelengths are visible to the human eye. They had fun playing with the ultra-violet and infra-red displays. We learned that all Hong Kong currency has ultra-violet ink included on it as an anti-counterfeiting measure. We couldn't figure out why the grocery stores had, what the kids were calling, “Hand stamp checking lights.” Now we know.

They have a planetarium at the museum that was doing a special show on Albert Einstein explaining his special theory of relativity. Once again, I told the kids there’d be a quiz tomorrow, but for some reason they thought I was kidding. I don’t know why. At least they now know what the letters in the formula "E=mc2" represent. That's a day well spent.

After the museum we went to this wonderful paper store at Queensway Center called, of all things, “Paper” and bought scrapbooking supplies. Then the girls and I had dinner this great little Italian restaurant called Grappa’s.