Saturday, May 14, 2005

The First Real Day

The weather started clearing up in the mid-afternoon so we to headed down to Causeway Bay, about a 5 minute taxi ride down the hill. Hong Kong looks pretty gray from a distance, but as you get closer, it gets more and more colorful. There's lots of ads and billboards, and just about every square inch is taken up by some form of commerce.
Hong Kong Island seems to be very international, and its a place that encompasses ALL your senses. There's so much visually going on that the traffic lights make noise to let you know when to cross. And the smells. Unbelievable. There's a surprise for your nose around every corner. Could be the bakery, or it could be the sewer. Could be the fish market, or it could be some wealthy Chinese woman who's just bathed in perfume. Like Forrest Gump once said, "You never know what you're gonna get."
And there's so much action in the city. People move VERY fast. Even the escalators and elevators move faster than the ones in the U. S. I'm not kidding.
I'm glad we're up the hill at Parkview. I must be a "laid-back" Southern California girl because I would go crazy moving at the Hongkongers (yes, they're officially called Hongkongers) pace.
I was a tad bit homesick today, but I'm sure when the maids come to dust, vacume and wash my dirty dishes, I'll get over it.